Welcome to the Veterans Rental Assistance Program (VRAP)
Funds were made available as an initiative by Governor Tony Evers. His administration is committed to ensuring that our heroes are able to stay safely in their homes and avoid homelessness. Applications will be accepted until September 30, 2023 or until funds are exhausted.
The Veterans Rental Assistance Program (VRAP) provides rental assistance for veterans who are struggling because of their limited or fixed incomes that have not kept pace with record increases in energy and housing costs. The VRAP also places a high priority on providing the much-needed assistance necessary to result in long-term housing/economic stability for those who are being served.
A. In order to qualify for a VRAP benefit you must meet the requirements listed below and provide the necessary documentation for both the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP) and VRAP.
1. Complete a simple WHEAP application for energy assistance. This can be done using one of the following methods:
2. For VRAP, you must have a gross income at or below 80% of your county's medium income. See LOCAL COUNTY INCOME GUIDELINES BY CLICKING HERE.
3. Complete VRAP pre-application for rental assistance online or by telephone.
4. Provide proof of all household income for the prior month. For example, if you're applying in December, you will need to provide proof of gross income for November. Proof of income could be in the form of check stubs, social security award letters, unemployment printouts, etc. Our VRAP staff team are available for more information or to assist you in obtaining documentation.
5. Provide a DD214 form noting your honorable discharge status. See How to acquire your DD214.
6. If requested by VRAP staff team, provide a copy of your lease and/or proof of rental payments.
B. Participation for VRAP benefits will only result in a rental assistance payment paid directly to your landlord if and when all requirements have been met and documentation has been provided.
C. After completion of your VRAP pre-application at vrapwi.com, you will receive an email with detailed instructions and the necessary VRAP income attestation form that certifies your gross income period. Upon accessing the vrapwi.com website an access code will be provided within the email. You will then be able to upload the required documentation to complete your application.
D. When completing the WHEAP application and qualified recipients may also be eligible for utility/energy payment assistance through the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program, Keep Wisconsin Warm/Cool Fund and other available utility charitable resources based on 2022-2023 New Energy Assistance Income Guidelines (see chart).
You may also qualify for a one-time $1000 water assistance grant made payable to your water utility.
The Low Income Weatherization Assistance Program may also include assistance with your furnace and other energy conservation measures to lower your cost and energy consumption.
VRAP can assist eligible households with rent, late fees, and security deposits ONLY.
For participants residing in, for example, Independent Living, VRAP can NOT assist with non-rental charges such as food, activities, and medical care. A summary detailing charges will be required at time of eligibility review.
Should you not have ongoing internet access or if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us at 833-WIS-VRAP (833-947-8727) or email us at email@example.com. One of our dedicated VRAP services team members will shortly respond to your inquiry.
By signing my name below, I acknowledge that I have read the above message and agree to provide all required documentation to complete my VRAP/WHEAP applications.
Supported in part by:
Energy Services Inc. • Keep Wisconsin Warm/Cool Fund • Heat And Housing For Heroes • PO Box 68 Madison, WI 53701-0068 • firstname.lastname@example.org • 833-WIS-VRAP (833-947-8727)